Oregon Veteran Educational Aid Program  The Oregon Veteran Educational Aid Program provides educational benefits to veterans pursuing approved training or coursework equal to the months of active duty service up to 36 months. Benefits are paid while pursuing classroom instruction, home study courses, vocational training, licensing and certificates from accredited Oregon educational institutions.  Full-time students may receive up to $150 per month and up to $100 per month for part-time students. This benefit is not available if you are receiving educational aid under any federal act based on service in the Armed Forces.
State Benefit.  Click here for program details and forms.

Oregon Nonresident Veteran Fee Remission  Nonresident veterans who are pursuing undergraduate studies pay tuition rates and fees no greater than the Oregon resident rate.  Veterans must establish Oregon residency within one year of enrollment at one of the seven OUS campuses.  To qualify, the nonresident veteran must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and relieved or discharged from that service under honorable conditions.  Eligible nonresident veteran students should contact the financial aid office at the OUS institution to request this benefit.  Benefit is extended to veterans who enroll and begin after September 2013.
State Benefit.  Contact the financial aid department at any Oregon university.

Voyager Tuition Assistance Program  Voyager is a tuition benefit that is available to honor and support Oregon residents who served the nation as members of the National Guard or Reserves in an active duty capacity in a combat zone since Sept. 11, 2001.  Voyager is a “last dollar award.” Qualifying students will be awarded a fee remission for no more than the difference between campus tuition and mandatory fees and expected military tuition benefits. The student is responsible for obtaining federal military tuition benefits. If a student is not eligible for federal tuition benefits they must demonstrate proof of ineligibility.  Application forms or process information is available at campus financial aid offices. Contact your university financial assistance department for more information.
State Benefit. Contact the financial aid department at colleges.

Post 9/11 GI Bill  The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to honorably discharged veterans with at least 90 days of aggregate service  on Title 10 Active Duty or Title 32 Active Guard Reserve Duty after Sept. 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. The Post 9-11 GI Bill will pay eligible individuals full tuition and fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students, attending classes at a greater than half-time rate. A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents is also provided. Distance Learning enrollee’s housing allowance is equal to half the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents. An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 is paid proportionately based on enrollment. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following release from active duty.  This benefit may be transferred to dependents and spouses based on six years of active duty service.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

Tillman Scholarship  The Pat Tillman Foundation’s Tillman Military Scholars program supports our nation’s active and veteran service members and their families by removing financial barriers to completing a degree or certification program of choice. The scholarships cover not only direct study-related expenses such as tuition and fees, but also other needs, including housing and child care.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

Tuition Assistance – Top-Up  Top-up allows the VA to reimburse an individual for all or a portion of the charges for courses that are not reimbursed under certain military education programs. The amount of this benefit can be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military for the course.  To be eligible for the Top-up benefit, the person must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department and be eligible for Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)-Active Duty benefits or the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program  The program was enacted to assist eligible individuals with payment of their tuition and fees in instances where costs exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education.To be eligible, the student must be a veteran receiving benefits at the 100 percent benefit rate payable, a transfer-of-entitlement-eligible dependent child or spouse of a veteran.  VA will match the school’s percentage (up to 50 percent) to reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs for eligible participants.  To receive this benefit your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Program. Six of seven OUS institutions participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

Statewide Apprenticeships (BOLI)  Oregon Apprenticeship Opportunities Statewide is offered through the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI).  If eligible, an apprentice may use veterans´ educational benefits while registered in an apprenticeship program. If an existing apprenticeship program does not have an approved veteran’s program in place, veterans can coordinate the establishment of a new training program by communicating with an employer and the Apprenticeship and Training Division.  The employer can be a current employer or a prospective employer who is willing to coordinate apprentice training with the VA and the Apprenticeship and Training Division. An apprenticeship representative can assist you in determining eligibility for your apprenticeship/training goals.  Typically, an apprenticeship lasts two to five years, depending on industry requirements.
State Benefit.  Contact the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry at 971-673-0761 or visit online.

Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) REAP is a Department of Defense (DoD) education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the president or Congress.  Eligible veterans must be a member of a Ready Reserve component (Selected Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, or Inactive National Guard) to pay into the “buy-up” program. Guard members are eligible if they were serving under Title 32 orders for 90 consecutive days as authorized by the president or secretary of defense for a national emergency and is supported by federal funds.  The DoD and Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) will determine eligibility.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)  The Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Education Assistance Program (VEAP), is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. You can use this benefit for degree, certification, correspondence, apprenticeship/job training programs, and vocational flight training programs.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)  The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program assists veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.  Eligibility and entitlement for VR&E are two different things. You may meet eligibility criteria, yet not be entitled to services. The first step in the VR&E process is to be evaluated to determine if you qualify for services.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

Tuition Assistance while on Active Duty  This DoD program is administered by the individual branches of the armed forces. Tuition Assistance (TA) can be used to pay up to 100 percent of a service member’s tuition while taking eligible courses during off-duty hours. Tuition Assistance benefits are capped at $250 per semester credit hour, with a $4,500 yearly cap.  All universities and local community colleges in Oregon use the recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE) to award academic credit toward a degree for education and training received in the military.

To claim college credit for military training, request a transcript from your military service branch. At no charge, each service will provide official copies to schools.
Federal Benefit.  Visit the VA’s GI Bill website.

College Credit for Your Military Training  ACE recommended credits can be used to fulfill your free-elective requirements, but the number of credits that can apply to your degree program is determined by each individual college. Some schools may even refuse to grant any credit for military experience, so ensure you are attending a school that will respect and award you for your valuable service.
State Benefit.  Contact college registrar’s office for details.