Records / Medals / Discharges

Copies of Discharge Papers  Most veteran’s benefits require a copy of their DD214 or discharge record. This is an important document and must be safeguarded. It is recommended that you file a copy with your county court house and maintain a copy in a safe place. ODVA may also have a copy of file.  Veterans and next of kin may also request copies of a DD214 from the National Archives.

Military Records and Medals  Veterans or their next of kin who need assistance in obtaining service records, a DD214, or replacement awards and medals must formally request them through the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). The NPRC is the records custodian for most discharged and retired members of all branches of service. The fastest way to obtain a copy is through their website.  If you do not have access to the internet, you can order a copy by mailing or faxing a Standard Form 180. The forms are available in any CVSO office or online at

Correction of Errors or Injustices on Military Records  Requests to have military records corrected are handled through each branch of service’s Board for the Correction of Military Records. All requests to correct an error to military records must be filed within three years of discovery of the error and contain evidence, such as signed statements from you and other witnesses or copies of records that support your case. It is not enough to provide the names of the witnesses.  Applying for a correction is a simple process, however, it is recommended you use the services of a VSO.

Applying for Review of Discharge  Veteran Service Offices get a number of clients that ask for information on how they can upgrade their discharge. You must make your application for discharge upgrade within 15 years of discharge. If your discharge is older than 15 years, you must apply for a change to your military records using the process detailed above.

Form DD Form 293 (Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces) can be obtained from ODVA or a local VSO.

The following link also provides great information on how to apply to DoD for a discharge upgrade, complete with links to the two different forms, addresses, and direction on what type of arguments are valid for a successful request:  Reveiw/Upgrade Discharge Information